- "Once these roads were full of people. Now all have hid or fled, save for the reavers, savage enough to survive in such a world."
The Reavers, also known as Cannibals, are a group of raiders that appear as minor enemies in God of War (2018). They are among the few remaining humans in Midgard, who have not gone into hiding during the events of Fimbulwinter.
God of War (2018)
- "We'll have to keep them alive. Strip off their meat... a little at a time."
After Kratos and Atreus enter the Jötnar Marketplace, they are ambushed by a gang of ravenous northmen who plan to eat them. Fearful that they might return as Hel-Walkers, they decide to keep them alive and only cut off parts of their bodies to devour.
The resulting battle ends with Kratos having killed most of them and Atreus having killed his first person.
Seconds after their deaths the Reavers rose from the dead as Hel-Walkers and Kratos and Atreus immediately had to kill them again.
- They are the only human enemies that can be encountered in the game.
- Originally, they were supposed to be regular Norse warriors, but they were eventually replaced by the Hel-Walkers as seen in footage from the Greenlight Demo 2015.
- It's possible that the Draugr waiting outside the marketplace are all previous victims of the Cannibals who are after them for revenge. Hence, why they were scared that Kratos and Atreus might return as undead if they killed them. It also makes their ultimate fate all the more ironic as they end up becoming Hel-Walkers themselves.
- Two of the Reavers names were mentioned, one was named Seigmund and another was named Gunter.