|“||Sweet Nanna's nethers.||”|
–Brok about Nanna
Nanna is a Norse Goddess of Joy and Peace, Devotion.
In Norse mythology, Nanna Nepsdóttir or simply Nanna is a goddess associated with the god Baldur. Accounts of Nanna vary greatly by source. In the Prose Edda, written in the 13th century by Snorri Sturluson, Nanna is the wife of Baldr and the couple produced a son, the god Forseti. After Baldr's death, Nanna dies of grief. Nanna is placed on Baldr's ship with his corpse and the two are set aflame and pushed out to sea. In, Baldr and Nanna are united again. In an attempt to bring back Baldr from the dead, the god rides to Hel and, upon receiving the hope of resurrection from the being Hel, Nanna gives Hermóðr gifts to give to the goddess (a robe of linen), the goddess Fulla (a finger-ring), and others (unspecified). Nanna is frequently mentioned in the poetry of skalds and a Nanna, who may or may not be the same figure, is mentioned once in the Poetic Edda, compiled in the 13th century from earlier traditional sources.
She is the goddess of joy and peace. She is a wife of Baldur. Nanna is also the Norse goddess of the Moon. She dies of a broken heart after Baldur is killed because ofconvincing to kill him.
In the God of War Series
God of War (2018)
Though Nanna does not appear, when Kratos comes back from getting the Blades of Chaos from his home he meets Brok at Temple of Týr. Brok sees Kratos' old weapon he runs towards Kratos and mentions Nanna by saying Sweet Nanna's nethers.
Powers and Abilities
- Immortality: as a Norse God, Nanna is immortal. Only a sufficiently powerful weapon or an extremely powerful being can kill her.
- Her Greek mythological equivalents (in terms of being wife to Baldur) are Hera and (in terms of abilities) Aphrodite.
- Nanna is briefly mentioned by Brok.
- In the Norse Mythology, Nanna's father Nepr is the son of Odin also brother to Baldur, Thor and Týr.
- In the mythology, she and Baldur has a son named Forseti the god of justice and reconciliation. However, since his invulnerability enchantments prevent him from siring a child as stated in the novel, it could be that Forseti never existed in God of War universe.