Multiplayer is an online game mode, featured in the God of War: Ascension, and boasting online combat with various maps and challenges. Multiplayer teams consist of Spartans or Trojans, and allow players to align themselves with four gods of Olympus: Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, and Ares, who bestow upon them different powers and abilities. Greek heroes are also featured, through use of specific armor sets. Some battles offer a certain set of rules to be met before completion, such as finishing off the map's Titan in exchange for a massive point boost, although players are not obliged to follow them.
The multiplayer part of Ascension features multi-level arenas, where several players can fight one another. The players take control of a nameless Redeemed Warrior, who escapes his prison cell with the help of the gods. The warriors then chooses their godly alliance and start their training in the Rotunda of Olympus.
A warrior must choose a god of Olympus to align themselves to in order to further their quest to become the ultimate champion of the gods. They have a choice of four gods.
Ares, the God of War, allows for overpowering physical attacks that can destroy and unwary opponent. With their physical prowess, they lack defense but can stay alive on the battlefield by killing foes and collecting green orbs.
Hades, the God of the Underworld, encourages stealthy play and underhanded tactics from his warriors. Those who align themselves to Hades can use the souls of the dead to aid them in battle.
Zeus, the King of Olympus and the God of Lightning, endows his warriors with powerful magical attacks that can damage from afar.
Poseidon, the God of the Sea, grants his warriors the abilities that are needed to help their comrades survive in battle. Warriors who accept the blessings of Poseidon can heal and protect their allies with water walls; they also have the ability to unleash the icy fury of the seas upon unsuspecting enemies.
Team Favor of the Gods4vs4 - Team Favor of the Gods requires 2 teams of 4 warriors to kill each other, capture altars and gain favor. Bigger maps such as the Desert of Lost Souls, where a chained Titan-sized cyclops, Polyphemus, interferes whenever the mortals come too close, and the Walls of Troy, where catapults are used to damage the Trojan Horse or the Statue of Apollo. Warriors score 100 favor by killing the other participants, 100 favor for conquering altars and 50 favor for opening chests which contain red orbs, plus additional points per time per captured altar. Eventually, an artifact unique to the map played, for example the Shield of Perseus or the Spear of Olympus, becomes obtainable and the team which reachs it first gains 1000 favor. Whoever reaches 8000 favor first wins the match.
2vs2 - In this game mode, 2 teams of 2 warriors battle each other with a goal of 2000 favor. The Gods may get involved by sending the Chalice of Hera, which helps the warrior who gains it by giving him favor over time.
Capture the Flag
Capture the Flag is very similar to Team Favor of the Gods, however, the main goal is not to kill players or to capture bases. Warriors must steal the other team's flag and bring it back to one of their empty bases; the flags count for one point each and whoever scores 3 or has the most points at the end of the match wins, with a bonus round in case of a tie. The gods get involved occasionally by sending down a bonus flag that anyone can take; all flags can be used to attack.
Match of Champions
Match of Champions is a free-for-all death match. The champions of the gods fight each other in a arena such as the Forum of Hercules, the Coliseum of Persia, the Rotunda of Olympus or the Oracle's Chamber. There are also enviromental hazards, such as Hercules watching the battle and periodically jumping down and punching the floor with his Nemean Cestus, creating a blue wave of energy that damages and knocks players off the platform appear. The warriors do not fight on teams and instead must fend for themselves. Whoever gets 1600 favor wins. The Gods may get involved by sending the Chalice of Hera, which helps the warrior who gains it by giving him favor over time.
8p - Same as the 8p Team Favor of the Gods but without the teams.
Trial of the Gods
Players must defeat hoards of monsters within a certain time frame. A new feature is the co-op mode in which teammates join together to fight. Trial of the Gods can be played in solo mode as well. Arenas such as the Forum of Hercules, the Rotunda of Olympus and the Desert of Lost Souls are used in this mode. Featuring the enemies and monsters seem in singleplayer and unique bosses from each arena.
Other types of enemies have been seen, like Cyclops Berserkers. The warriors' alliance with either Zeus, Hades, Poseidon, or Ares will open options to different themed attacks. This choice will have no effect on either the Spartan or Trojan teams. The multiplayer does not allow local split-screen possibilities.
Armor SetsDifferent Greek armor sets that can be earned from Labors and Ranks and chosen to customized the player. Some armor sets are downloaded from pre-order offers.
- Gladiator's Armor
- Warrior's Armor
- Sage's Armor
- Armor of Achilles: Pre-order Mythological Heroes pack.
- Armor of Perseus: Pre-order Mythological Heroes pack.
- Armor of Odysseus: Pre-order Mythological Heroes pack.
- Armor of Orion: Pre-order Mythological Heroes pack.
- Cyclopean Armor: Unlocked by Labor- Polyphemus Hunter I
- Skorpian Armor: Unlocked by Labor- Daedalus Revenge I
- Armor of Morpheus: Unlocked by Labor- Gold III
- Armor of Athena: Unlocked by Labor- Treasure Hunter II
- Armor of Medusa: Unlocked by Labor- Stoner I
- Armor of Artemis:Unlocked by Labor- Blood Lust III
- Manticore Armor: Unlocked by Labor- Renowned IV
- Griffin Armor: Unlocked by chests in Trial of the Gods
- Battle Armor of Ares: Unlock by Labor- Warmonger IV
- Battle Armor of Hades: Unlock by Labor- Reaper IV
- Battle Armor of Poseidon: Unlock by Labor- Leviathan IV
- Battle Armor of Zeus: Unlock by Labor- Goliath IV
- Fury Armor: Ares Rank 19
- Armor of Phobos : Hades Rank 19
- Kraken Armor: Poseidon Rank 19
- Armor of Hercules: Zeus Rank 19
- War Armor of Ares: Ares Rank 29
- War Armor of Hades: Hades Rank 29
- War Armor of Poseidon: Poseidon Rank 29
- War Armor of Zeus: Zeus Rank 29
- Armor of Leonidas: Pre-order from Gamestop
- Armor of Typhon: Rise of the Warrior exclusive DLC
- Champion's Armor: Beta exclusive DLC
- Chimeran Armor: Free DLC
- Chaos Armor: DLC
- Armor of Callisto : DLC
- If you're looking for armor stats, check out http://www.xn-games.net/boards/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=2771
Battle maps featuring many locations from the series. Each have various traps and landscapes and godly interventions.
- Bog of the Forgotten: features Stheno, unleash using the Shield of Perseus.
- Coliseum of Persia: features a rideable Cerberus Mongrel.
- Desert of Lost Souls: features Polyphemus, slay with the Spear of Olympus.
- Forum of Hercules: features Hercules, droppable waves of arrows.
- Labyrinth of Daedalus: features Skorpius, use the Chain of Balance to manipulate cube.
- The Oracle's Chamber: features Pollux and Castor.
- Rotunda of Olympus: opening training ground and combat arena.
- Walls of Troy: Destroy the Trojan Horse or the Statue of Apollo using the giant catapult.
WeaponsWeapons like swords, spears, and hammers are used. Few famous weapons can be unlocked like the Spear of Destiny and the Barbarian Hammer. Grappling hooks are also donned by each warrior, they can be used to drag retreating opponents back into a fight.
- Gladiator Sword
- Blade of Athena
- Cerberus Blade
- Cronos Blade
- Blade of Ares
- Sword of Ares
- Blade of Poseidon
- Sword of Poseidon
- Blade of Zeus
- Sword of Zeus
- Blade of Hades
- Sword of Hades
- Champion's Blade
- Blade of Judgement
- Mercenary Sword
- Blade of Thanatos
- Blade of Artemis
- Gladiator Hammer
- Minotaur Hammer
- Barbarian Hammer
- Hammer of Helios
- War Hammer of Ares
- Maul of Ares
- War Hammer of Poseidon
- Maul of Poseidon
- War Hammer of Zeus
- Maul of Zeus
- War Hammer of Hades
- Maul of Hades
- Champion's Hammer
- Gladiator Spear
- Centaur Spear
- Spear of Hermes
- Spear of Destiny
- Spear of Ares
- Lance of Ares
- Spear of Poseidon
- Lance of Poseidon
- Spear of Zeus
- Lance of Zeus
- Spear of Hades
- Lance of Hades
- Spear of Leonidas
Weapons such as clubs and javelins can be collected in the match to be used for a certain amount of time. As with the single player, these items' attacks are activated by the circle button and can be thrown by pressing L1+O.
Clubs are incredibly powerful and, when striking a warrior, cause the victim to be smacked up into the air, over an edge, or into a wall, depending on where the attack hits. To discard it, a player throws it at another warrior (which needs to be close), knocking him away and causing a lot of damage.
Javelins act a lot like they do in the single player. They can be thrown at other warriors and are mainly used for air combos. The damage they cause is considerably less than the damage caused by clubs. By discarding it, a player will throw it up, and then multiple spears will rain down on the target, which can even kill it. Each spear collected can be thrown 10 times before running out of ammunition.
Small swords sometimes appear. They do not too much damage but what they lack in offence they make up for in speed. To discard it, a player will throw it at another warrior, knoking him away.
Shields are strong can be used to hit the opponents, although they are slow. They can be thrown at another player when discarded.
Gorgon Heads are found in maps such as the Bog of the Forgotten and the Coliseum of Persia. They fire a red gorgon flash that petrifies the target instantly, however it can be evaded. Each head can fire 3 flashes before running out of power.
The Gem of Uroborus appears in maps such as the Walls of Troy and the Oracle's Chamber. When used against a player, the warrior will be slowed down for some time. By aiming it at structures such as bridges, walls and even the floor itself, it can break or reconstruct them, creating new paths or destroying them. Each Gem can be used 5 times.
There are also the Boots of Hermes. They speed the warriors' movement up and have a stomp ability which does a small amount of damage that also causes enemies to be thrown in the air.
Each of the two maps available in the beta features lever-action traps, ranging from a number of spikes in the floor that kills mortals in the area instantly, including friendlies, to platforms with grated floors that burns and disorientates warriors whom cross it, much like the one that the Ares' champion stands, still in the lobby screen. Traps can also be set to only be triggered when an enemy steps up: this can be done by holding the R1 button and be avoided by looking at that trap's lever, which will feature the enemy's or friendly's faction icon above it. The Dualshock 3 will also vibrate when the champion comes close to a previously set up trap. Polyphemus tries to crush players capturing the outer capture points as well as damaging and knocking players in both outer and central platforms with his hands, both intentionally or by accident, with a similar fashion.
The Arena map, which is featured on the free-for-all style game mode Favor of the Gods, also has traps. Periodically, an area, before covered in spikes below where Hercules stands, is free for anyone to go in. Inside it, there's a lever that triggers a trap. In determined spots around the arena, arrows drop down from the sky killing everyone hit by them. Hercules periodically jumps down and punches the floor of the arena with his Nemean Cestus, releasing a blue energy wave that damages and knocks players back.
There are also flamethrowers in maps such as the Walls of Troy, the Labyrinth of Deadalus and the Bog of the Forgotten. They don't kill players instantly, but if they are hit by the fire, they'll be temporally burned, losing health, and will be disoriented. The Labyrinth also features big ventilators that can either blow warriors away or suck them with their strong winds, depending on what the user wants to do. If a warrior gets sucked by them, he'll die instantly when he touches it. The Bog of the Forgotten has also a statue of a serpent's head above one of its altars. When it's activated, it will open its mouth and "spit" a puddle of poison on the altar.
- God of War: Ascension is the first game in the series to feature a multiplayer mode.
- Most of the weapons and powers in multiplayer resemble and function like those used by Kratos throughout the series.
- The Leonidas costume is based off the same character from the film 300.
- After 8 years, the Blade of Artemis makes a return as a downloadable multiplayer weapon.
- The Barbarian Hammer and the Spear of Destiny also make a reappearance in the multiplayer, unlockable by finding and opening White Chests to obtain their parts.
- Health and magic chests do not appear in multiplayer. They have been replaced by fountains that the warrior has to run through to heal themselves. Experience chests still exist but they are not opened in a normal fashion. Instead, the red crystal on the lid is smashed to release the orbs.
- It should be noted that experience and weapons do not carry over from the beta to the final version of the game, however, the Champion's Blade and Armor are given as a reward.
- The beta opened for all PSN users from the 20th of January to the 22nd, no rewards were given to people for taking part in this version of the beta.
- Sign ups for the Multiplayer beta ended on Dec. 7th, 2012; the beta started on January 8, 2013 for PS+ members.