|“||I will reach the Sisters of Fate, and I will use your wings to do so!||”|
These are the feathered wings that belonged to Icarus in Greek mythology. They were made of bee's wax and bird feathers. As Icarus and his father Daedalus flew from the island to freedom, Icarus flew too close to the sun, his wings melted and he fell into the sea either to be killed on impact (falling into water from such a height is like falling on concrete) or to be eaten by one of the sea's terrible creatures.
God of War Series
God of War II
When Kratos encountered Icarus, he fought with him down the Great Chasm and then ripped off his wings and took them for himself, landing safely on the Titan Atlas. With the wings, Kratos can "glide" through the air, allowing him to travel across much greater distances than just jumping. While Kratos is flying however, the wings slowly fall apart, and if they dissipate enough before Kratos lands on solid ground, he'll automatically fall straight out of the air and onto the ground.
God of War III
Kratos kept his Icarus Wings, still allowing him to glide, as well as granting him the new Icarus Ascension ability, which allowed him to fly straight up into the air, to use air combos on tall enemies. Throughout Olympus, there are large shafts called Icarus Vents that can propel Kratos to areas he cannot normally reach by jumping; some of these vents are powerful enough to allow Kratos to fly up Mount Olympus, but he must avoid falling rocks and obstacles.
- Icarus Glide (Air) - While in the air, press X and continue holding to glide for a short amount of time. Hold X
- Icarus Ascension - Use your wings to launch nearby enemies and jump into the air. L1 + X
- Icarus Strike (Air) - While airborne, perform a quick single strike with your wings. L1 + X
- Note that Icarus Ascension and Icarus Strike no longer feature in God of War III whilst the Blades of Exile are equipped, unless you turn on Aphrodite's Garter.
- The Icarus Wings appears as one of Kratos' moves in Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny, along with Poseidon's Rage.
- Originally, God of War would already feature the Icarus Wings, but were cut from the game due to time constraints. The level incorporating them can be seen in part in the Deleted Levels documentary.