When Kratos and his son Atreus were travelling through the mountain's interior to reach the summit, Hræzlyr attacked them on their way up. After a brief fight, the Dragon retreated towards the exterior. There, it found the Dwarf Sindri and attacked the smith, but Atreus intervened and Kratos engaged in combat against the Dragon.
Their battle continued until Hræzlyr spotted and attempted to kill Atreus and Sindri, but Kratos used a nearby crane to restrain the Dragon and force its neck into a large spike of crystallized World Tree sap which exploded, destroying a large portion of the Dragon's neck and killing the Dragon.
After its death, one of Hræzlyr's teeth was used to imbue Atreus' bow with the Dragon's electrical power.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
As a Dragon, Hræzlyr possesses a large amount of strength, durability and stamina proportional to its large size. It has thick and tough scales covering its body, alongside large claws and teeth.
Hræzlyr has the ability to spew lightning from its mouth, able to shoot it towards to the sky to make lightning rain around it.
Dragons are also able to see Dwarves as they walk between realms, thus Hræzlyr was able to spot Sindri despite his attempts to escape from its sight.
- Hræzlyr's name is very close to the word for "Hræzla", which means "terror" in Old Norse.
- It is unknown as to why Hræzlyr's wings are misshapen, although living in the mountain for an extended period of time may have something to do with it.
- One possible theory is that the Dragon has physically developed throughout its life to adapt living in and around mountain caves as opposed to in open space as Otr, Fafnir, and Reginn. Hræzlyr's crest are also different that it doesn't have outward protruding horn, and it's tail also seem bulkier than the three.
- Hræzlyr can be considered the Nordic equivalent of opening boss like Aegaeon, Basilisk, Hydra, Scylla, Colossus of Rhodes, and Hippocampi from the previous game.
- However, Dauði Kaupmaðr is actually opening boss but it served as tutorial, while the Hræzlyr is mid-opening boss and fought in the Chapter 5: Inside the Mountain chronologically, so technically that makes Hræzlyr the first opening boss in the whole game.
- According to Sindri, Hræzlyr was the first Dragon to be killed in centuries.