The Draugr, also called draug, dréag, draugar; draugur, dreygur, or draugen, is an undead creature from Norse mythology. The Old Norse meanings of the word are Revenant, undead man, and ghost. Draugr live in their graves, often guarding treasure buried with them in their burial mound. They are reanimated corpses - unlike ghosts, they have a corporeal body with similar, physical abilities as possessed in life.
One of the best-known draugur is Glámur, who is defeated by the hero in Grettis saga. After Glámur dies on Christmas Eve, "people became aware that Glámur was not resting in peace. He wrought such havoc that some people fainted at the sight of him, while others went out of their minds". After a mundane battle, Grettir eventually gets Glámur on his back. Just before Grettir kills him, Glámur curses Grettir because "Glámur was endowed with more evil force than most other ghosts", and thus he was able to speak and leave Grettir with his curse after his death.
God of War (2018)
Draugar are undead warriors that died in battle but blinded by anger, refused the call of the Valkyries to Valhalla, usually due to their desire for revenge. Engaging the Valkyries in a duel, the warriors are burned by the intensity of the fight and doomed to forever roam Midgard in rage as a husk of their previous selves.
They are the most frequent enemies especially they roam mostly in Midgard and other realms except in Helheim.
If they are stunned, Kratos can pull them closer to deliver an elbow to the face, then grab one of their legs to make them fall and crush their skull with his feet, create explosive fire, applying burn to the enemies or simply splitting their upper body with his hand.
Types of Draugr
Draugr's come in a variety of different classes
- Draugr: This Draugr type fights with a single weapon. These Draugr's are not dangerous in single combat but can cause problems in groups.
- Dual Wield Draugr: This Draugr type is equipped with a weapon in each hand. These Draugr's can chain together a flurry of attacks quickly. Being more offensively minded, look to parry their attacks.
- Explosive Draugr: This Draugr type stores energy in their bodies and explode on contact.
- Power Weapon Draugr: This Draugr type can channel energy through their arms into their weapons, allowing them to unleash devastating attacks.
- Projectile Draugr: This Draugr type can unleash fireballs. They attack from a distance and should be dealt with early in fights.
- Shield Draugr: This Draugr type utilizes a shield and is defensively sound in combat. Break their guard with a charged R2 attack or a well-timed parry.
- Speed Draugr: This Draugr type channels fire into their legs that give them superhuman speed. They are difficult to hit and should be baited to charge Kratos before attacking.
- Heavy Draugr: This Draugr type is much bulkier than other types and is equipped with a much heavier weapon. While their bulk definitely slows them down, they are also much stronger and tougher than their counterparts. Beware, they can grab Atreus and kill him if Kratos doesn't rescue him in time.
Mother said that Draugr were warriors who died, but their souls were too stubborn and angry to stop fighting They'd fight off the Valkyrie that came to collect them, and bring their own dead bodies back to life... warping and twisting their previous form into something else. Now they're husks of their former selves, and fight anybody they can find. She also said that they can come back in all different shapes and sizes and that some even have powers that others may not.
- Draugr fight with dangerous weapons, but they aren't very skilled with them. Not like Father and his axe. If we watch their movements, it should be easy to dodge or block their attacks.
- These basic Draugr aren't very fast or strong. We can dodge or block them, and take them down pretty easily.
- Draugrs are the equivalent to the Undead Legionnaires, Fates Sentries, Olympus Sentries, Megaera's Minions, and the lesser Satyrs from previous games.
- The Draugr are particularly feared by others for their extreme brutality, savagery and them being more like a band of crazed serial killers then a group of warriors.