|“||This is Sparta!||”|
Being featured as an additional costume for the multiplayer of God of War: Ascension, the King Leonidas 'costume' is obtained by pre-ordering the Standard and Collector's Edition of God of War: Ascension at GameStop.
Leonidas I ("son of the lion"; born approximately 540 BC, died 480 BC at the Battle of Thermopylae), also known as Leonidas the Brave was a Greek hero-king of Sparta, third son of King Anaxandridas II of Sparta, who was believed to be a descendant of Hercules, possessing much of the latter's strength and bravery.
King Leonidas is notable for his leadership at the Battle of Thermopylae with only 300 Spartans against the massive forces of the Persians. Leonidas was killed, but the Spartans retrieved his body and protected it. The orders of Xerxes I, then ruler of Persia, were to have Leonidas' head cut off and put on a stake and his body crucified, out of his hatred for the defiant king of Sparta. This act was considered sacrilegious to the Spartans.
The God of War Series
Donning King Leonidas's red cape, iconic helmet, and armor, the player will be able to make their multiplayer warrior look like the famous Spartan king from the blockbuster film 300. King Leonidas is equipped with his famous spear and shield that has its own unique set of moves and abilities. It is not confirmed if the King of Sparta in God of War: Ascension was, in fact, Leonidas, but it is a plausible hypothesis.
|“||Stained with the blood of the legions of Xerxes, this Spartan Armor was worn by the Son of the Lion himself.||”|
- Rank 1 - +1 Health; +4% Physical Power
- Rank 2 - +2 Health; +5% Physical Power
- Rank 3 - +2 Health; +6% Physical Power
- Rank 1 - n/a
- Rank 2 - 3,500 XP
- Rank 3 - 12,000 XP
- The King of Sparta alluded by Tisiphone's mindtrick on Kratos in Ascension could be the God of War version of Leonidas I. Not based on the non-canon 300 character, however Kratos gives him the famous "Spartan Kick" (which does draw reference).
- Kratos fought the Persian armies just as King Leonidas once did. In Chains of Olympus, the Persian King is likely suppose to be Xerxes I.
- Deimos' physical appearance in Ghost of Sparta resembles Leonidas.
- Leonidas' spear and shield is identical to Kratos' Arms of Sparta.
- Choosing this armor equips the entire Leonidas armor set (helmet, upper and lower armor).
|Locations:||Temple of Ares|
|Spartans:||Kratos | Last Spartan | King of Sparta | King Leonidas (Non-Canon) | Kratos' Army | Kratos' Fleet|
|Residents:||Deimos | Callisto | Calliope | Lysandra | Disciples of Ares | Brothel Women | Dissenter|
|Gods Worshiped:||Ares (Formerly) | Kratos|
|Other Enemies:||Kratos' Ghost|
|Significant Encounters and Items|
|Encounters:||Sex Mini Game|
|Items:||Kratos' Equipment | Callisto's Armlet | Aphrodite's Ambrosia | Ares' Sword | The Skull of Keres | Arms of Sparta | Sword of Valor | King Leonidas Set (Multiplayer Only)|
|Events:||Siege of Attica | Siege of Athens | Siege of Rhodes | Pride of Sparta | The Marked Warrior|
|Others:||A Secret Revealed | Birth of the Beast | Bonus Costumes | Zeus|